Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tips, Tricks and secrets: Basic Fly fishing for rainbow trout

First, telling you right now, get personal instructions or watch videos on how to cast. I will be using terms that you won't understand if you haven't watched videos or had instruction. Another thing that I should tell you, I've only been fly fishing for a month but I'm telling you now, fly fishing is no harder that spin fishing or golf. Some fly fisherman try to make it sound and look harder than it really is, but they just want to look like the best.
Starting into the reel topic ( I know my puns are horrible) I'll be helping you select a rod and reel. A combo with backing line and leader/tippet is best for the beginner. You want probably a five of six weight. A 4 weight is a little small for most trout in the streams you'll be fishing at first, and a six weight is a little big for most trout that you'll catch at first. Like I said, you want a combo, just because it will usually be cheaper and when buying the reel alone, it will often not come with backing, line, and leader.
The first 10 flies you'll need are: #8 Woolly Bugger, # 12 Hare's Ear Nymph, #6 Slumpbuster, # 12 Adams, #12 Parachute, #14 Elk Hair Caddis, # 18 Zebra Midge, # 6 Giant Stonefly (this also immitates a large hopper), # 6 Golden Stonefly nymph, And a Golden Stone (dry).
These flies will get you far on your own, but I suggest using a Woolly Bugger at a local trout pond.
This concludes part 1 of fly fishing for rainbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment