Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fly Fishing at Niagara Springs State Park

This is by far in my top 3 places for fly fishing in southern Idaho, behind Clear Lake and ahead of Billingsley Creek. The species in the creek include rainbow trout, various species of invasive carp, and I even saw a small white sturgeon that swam upstream from the river. I was using the streamer pattern "Slumpbuster" which is commonly used for bass and panfish, but because there were sculpin and dace in the stream, and there was not apparent hatch, I thought a streamer of some type would be good. Because of the construction on the western bank a float tube or waders is best, but if the water levels are low enough and you're willing to get wet then you can hop from rock to rock to get to the best angle for casting. I often find fish on the western side hiding under the shadow of a large tree. I didn't think I would need a pair of waders, but I recommend you bring them if you can. I caught a small rainbow on the Slumpbuster, and I suspect a Woolly Bugger would work too. 
Like I said, Its a good place to go, even for the spin fisherman, and there is also a lake in the area (remember, it costs to get to the lake).

No comments:

Post a Comment