Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fishing on the Silver Creek Preserve

Silver Creek is a world famous spring-fed tributary of the Little Wood River. The best section for fishing is near the Unincorporated town of Picabo. The fish in Silver Creek are among the biggest and hardest in the world to catch. I was using a 5X tippet and I thought that I would get less bites but land more fish, but a 6X is what I should have used, but In the end I only caught one small fish. Here's the story. I was up the 26th of August and wondering, spin fishing still waters such as Magic, C.J. Strike, or Salmon Falls Creek Reservior, or, should I fly fish on moving waters such as the Big Wood, Henry's Fork or Silver Creek. Because I am the only one in my family who fly fishes and taught my self I didn't think I was ready for the legendary Silver Creek, and after all, I'm only eleven and started 4 months ago. I decided my dad would still have fun, and we decided we would go on the 27th of August. That morning I woke up at seven, did some last minute research and set off. I was very ill-prepared, with only two Parachute Adams, a few big Stoneflies that could imitate hoppers, and one #10 detached bodied may fly. It was mostly Baetis and some Tricos, but it was windy so terrestrial fishing was good. Once I got there, I looked at the bridge and there were probably 30 Rainbow Trout and about 15 brown trout. I read some stuff about the insects, Ernest Hemingway and I noticed that it said there were over 6000 fish per mile of stream. I went to sign in at the Nature Conservancy cabin. and got to fishing. I walked past a few people and guides and they said that it was too hard and "If I can't catch anything, well, than good luck to you." said one of the guides. I fished on anyway, using a Pink Albert Parachute and I got many bites but only managed to hook one fish. It was a small rainbow, about six inches. I released him with only a memory. After this I lost the two other Parachutes I had, went to a local fly shop and got a few foam hoppers some parachutes and a few flies that I forgot the names to. I fished for a few hours and still caught nothing.
Next time I go I'll be sure to use a hopper-dropper with a Bead Head Pheasant Tail Nymph and have more parachutes. Also I will remember to use a 6X.

No comments:

Post a Comment